Sunday, August 30, 2009
Technology Integration Article Summary
Hong, Wang (2008, October). Exploring educational use of blogs in U.S. education. US-China Education Review, 5(10), 34-38. Retrieved August 19, 2009, from ERIC database.A very popular Web 2.0 tool is a blog. Blogs are tools that allow individuals to record and document ideas and thoughts on various issues that can later be shared with others. It is an electronic log. Blogs have advantages and disadvantages: they allow for more instantaneous interaction and collaboration, helps save paper, and creates a sense of ownership. The downsides are they are hard to regulate, facts may be incorrect and some of the views may be extreme.EduBlogs are blogs used in education and many instructors have moved to this format. This is beneficial not only to the instructors but also the students. This can be intimidating to teachers apprehensive with technology and it also removes authoritarian power from the teachers. Students play an active role in the learning process.Blogs have the ability to remove socioeconomic barriers that have hampered the development of vast populations. It allows students to view ideas from different cultural perspectives they may have previously been unable to share. Blogs have tremendous potential to impact education. Research is being conducted now and will need to continue in order to establish best practices.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I have always been interested in how I can utilize blogs as a teacher. I have tried to use them in place of a website but I just find that they are not as effective. I am already beginning to understand their value more just from this class but I would still really like to learn more.
ReplyDeleteI personally have a hard time wrapping my brain around blogs, but I have considered getting out of my comfort zone to use them in my classroom. I would love to use blogs as a way to increase writing skills. Blogs would be a great place for kids to talk about their writing, give suggestions to each other, and help each other edit and proofread.
ReplyDelete