
eLearning is a new phenomenon that has come about in the last 15 years. It is learning with the aid of the Internet. Communication among students and instructors is carried on via the intenet. Students communicate with one another through various web based applications and submit work to servers for retrieval by instructors. eLearning can be solely online or a hybrid format for students. This form of learning is supported by many impoverished school districts because it allows them to offer courses that would otherwise be unavailable. eLearning is a format for self-motivated students due to the discipline needed in completing assignments. You have limited face-to-face interactions so you are responsible for your own motivation.
ePortfolios are an excellent assessment tool for instructors (226). These portfolios allow students to collect the work they have done in the course. Many times, due to the structure of web based classes, instructors can not observe all the students. ePortfolios are an excellent way to display work that was completed and show the software and hardware that were used in creating the works in the portfolio. This is also a place to insert reflections of the work or concepts you are addressing at the point in time. It also can be updated as needed and referred to for future reference. On a eco-friendly note, ePortfolios save paper that would otherwise be used for a traditional portfolio.
Egbert, J. (2009). Supporting learning with technology: Essentials of classroom practice. Upper Saddle River, NJ: Pearson-Prentice Hall
I love eLearning. I am a very independent worker who is good with time managment, so eLearning works great for me. I hate to feel like I'm wasting time. I don't know if it would have worked as well for me though at the middle school or even the high school level. eLearning requires a sort of discipline that can be very difficult for a teenager. I am eager to see where eLearning is headed in the future.
ReplyDeleteI really like the idea of eLearning. It makes me a bit nervous on the motivation end of things, though. What do you do with those students who simply don't care, no matter the format you are using? It's a very fine line.
ReplyDelete