Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Blog Entry 9: Supporting Student Production

I was interested in Egbert's take on student benefits of production (185). Egbert shows how student production has a plethora of benefits. Students with different learning styles can have leeway and choose the modality that suits them. Learners on different learning levels are allowed to add to the project on their level. Social skills are fostered in the collaborative effort to complete the project. It allows students who do not speak English a way to communicate their thoughts and ideas. I have begun to use collaborative projects and all my students contributing has been an issue for me and I have seen the pattern of the "slackers" cruising along, but the beauty of Google Docs is I can share their work with their peers and those same "slackers" begin to take ownership of their work. Students taking ownership of their work is the ultimate goal of any teacher.

Egbert, Joy. (2009). Supporting learning with technology: Essentials of Classroom Practice. Upper Saddle River, New Jersey: Pearson Prentice Hall.

1 comment:

  1. I love that you have found a way to make students take ownership of their work when in a collaborative environment. Right my kids are working on a project that requires a lot of team work. I had them make an action plan before they started doing any of the work. This has really helped them figure out who is doing what and where to get started.

    ReplyDelete